During my maternity leave, I noticed one day while I was nursing that the Gilmore Girls (“GG”) was in reruns on the ABC Family channel. They were playing the pilot episode and I loved it.
After that, I would turn GG on each day while I nursed. When I went back to work, I set the DVR to record it each day so I could watch it while I nursed in the evening.
Well, over nine months later, I just watched the last episode of GG. What a great show! I liked it so much, I really think they need to reboot it, kind of like Netflix did with Arrested Development. Although, GG won’t work the way Arrested Development was redone. You can’t isolate one main character from the GG each into their own episodes – it would need to be a fully integrated, complete show.
So here’s my modest proposal for a brand new Gilmore Girls show – GG 2.0, if you will:
- First thing is first – you need Amy Sherman-Palladino and Lauren Graham. You can’t reboot GG without both of them. We’ll have to get Parenthood cancelled (how hard could that be, really?). And I don’t know what Ms. Sherman-Palladino is up to, but we would need to tank that as well.
- Think Gilmore Girls meets Auntie Mame. Lorelei raises her grandson in Stars Hollow with Luke, her now-husband. Rory had such a satisfying farewell in the last episode that it was like a touching goodbye to that character. At the end, Rory told her mom, Lorelei, that Lorelei gave her everything she needed. Sorry, Rory, but it only makes sense to reboot with your offspring. In the opening scene, Lorelei is presented with her grandson, to whom she is now suddenly legal guardian because Rory and her husband, also a reporter, tragically died in a car accident on their way home from accepting the Pulitzer Prize.
- I propose this grandchild be a boy. We had the Lorelei and daughter experience in GG 1.0 and we also had April, who is basically the Scrappy-Doo or Cousin Oliver of GG. We don’t need another adorable, smart young girl character. Make him more fast talker than stereotypically smart – think a mix between Jess and Logan. Lets go with the spunky, fast-talking boy option.
- Lorelei’s best friend, Sookie, is not a regular character in GG 2.0 because Melissa McCarthy is so famous now – I’m sure she wouldn’t agree to be a full-time regular on the show. I say Sookie is away, maybe in California, opening another Dragon Fly Inn, like a franchise. We can see her from time to time when Melissa McCarthy has a break between movies. Maybe we give her a show on the Food Network or make her an Iron Chef, just for laughs.
- Lorelei’s new best friend is . . . yes, Paris Geller. Paris married Doyle and the two of them are of course now rich and powerful after Paris, let’s say, invented a new medical device to cure some funny but embarrassing ailment like, I don’t know, maybe Athlete’s Foot. We can work on this. In any case, Paris has moved to Stars Hollow to raise her kid, who she wants to have the same idealic upbringing of her good friend, Rory. Lets put her right next door to Lorelei in Babbette’s old house because I’m sure Sally Strothers is going to be too busy for the Netflix-produced reboot. We can have Paris be a new lecturing professor at Chilton so she overlaps with Lorelei’s grandson. Plus, since she has not mellowed at all, Paris dealing with students will be funny to watch.
- Chilton brings me to Emily and Richard. We need them back, paying for Chilton again. Friday night dinners are a must. And their great-grandson gets into Chilton because of his family and charm and, unlike his mother, not because of his brain power.
- Lane and Zack need to be there. I say Lane and Zack are now music teachers in town and they have the twins, AND they’re still playing with Gil and Brian. If Miss Patty can’t return for whatever reason, put Lane and Zack’s music school in her studio and continue to have the town meetings there. Lane will be Rory’s son’s Lorelei Gilmore (reference to the Lane’s baby shower episode).
- This is very important – both or maybe just one of Lane’s kids need to rebel. They/he hate music and they/he love bible study. They hide things in the floor boards and rebel whenever they can.
- Throw in Mrs. Kim too because she’s awesome. In fact, if the actress who plays Miss Patty wants to come back, put Lane and Zack’s music school somewhere in Mrs. Kim’s antique store. Mrs. Kim can conspire against Lane with Lane’s kids.
- The town needs to be a character in the reboot, like it was in the original.
- Town meetings are a must-have.
- Michel is a must-have, in every episode. Give him 5 dogs because it would be fun.
- Kirk is a must-have. Add in Taylor, Gypsie, Liz, Miss Patty . . . heck, all the town folk. Even the troubadour.
What are your thoughts on the reboot?